The Educare Foundation provides support through the Ed Waltman Mini Grants Program during the school year. The Foundation distributes up to $24,000 annually in mini grants, which are grants that do not exceed $1,000. Educators may apply for mini grants throughout the school year. View full history of mini grant requests.
Mini grant requests must be made by the last Thursday of the month in order to be considered for funding the following month.
Recent Ed Waltman Mini Grant Awards 2016-2017:
- Franklin Elementary, Educator: Amanda Wenninger (Kindergarten), Amount Funded: $735.00
- Description: Leveled reading books (six copies of 24 titles).
- Central High School, Educator: Crystal Kay (English), Amount Funded: $499.99
- Description: One digital camera to be used in Yearbook class to create a yearbook for the school.
- Prairie Winds Middle School, Educator: Michael Shores (GTT and Vex Advisor), Amount Funded: $599.99
- Description: After separating from East High School, another Vex Robotics field is necessary to continue robotics education.
- Bridges, Educators: Nelly Hagedorn & Peggy Morris (Kindergarten), Amount Funded: $1,000.00
- Description: Leveled sets of books organized by standard through benchmark literacy.
- Roosevelt Elementary, Educators: Vogelsang, Rux & Swatsky, Amount Funded: $350.00
- Description: Guided reading materials to support struggling readers for grades K-5.
- Central High School, Educator: Crystal Kay (English), Amount Funded: $614.17
- Description: Books and materials for at-risk students.
- Eagle Lake Elementary, Educator: Mary Johnson (RIT), Amount Funded: $555.00
- Description: Secret Stories to enhance phonics instruction in grades K-2.
- West High School, Educators: Kevin Dick & Dave Lutz, Amount Funded: $500.00
- Description: Transportation to three top automotive colleges in Minn. for students wanting to enroll in automotive technology. Inspire students to pursue their interests after high school.
- Prairie Winds, Educators: Shelby Herrera & Lynell Senden (8th Grade Earth Science), Amount Funded: $435.05
- Description: Science World magazine subscriptions.
- Central High School, Educator: Caleb Watson (Tech Ed), Amount Funded: $1,000.00
- Description: Dewalt drill and miter saw for Construction & Woodworking courses.
- Rosa Parks Elementary, Educator: Kristin Zimmerman, Amount Funded: $700
- Description: Leveled chapter books to help students with higher and lower reading levels stay challenged with learning.
- Rosa Parks Elementary, Educator: Sara Dauer, Amount Funded: $929.86
- Description: Reading instructional material to allow students to receive accurate leveled reading instruction as well as have books available for daily independent reading.
- Dakota Meadows, Educator: Emily Hudspith (AVID site coordinator), Amount Funded: $500
- Description: Field trip to MSU’s ropes course to help build a sense of community, confidence in ability to lead and foster skills of collaboration among 47 AVID students.
- Dakota Meadows Middle School, Educator: Kari Healy (Media Specialist), Amount Funded: $499.44
- Description: Breakout EDU games to teach critical thinking, teamwork, complex problem solving, and can be used in all content areas.
- Franklin Elementary, Educator: Ashley Fries, Amount Funded: $735.00
- Description: Leveled readers including 24 titles with six copies of each to be used in kindergarten.
- Eagle Lake Elementary, Educator: Shelly Weckworth (Media Specialist), Amount Funded: $1,000.00
- Description: Polar 3D printer to be used in MakerSpace to provide hands-on learning.
- Jefferson Elementary, Educator: Amber Leonhardi, Amount Funded: $531.48
- Description: Math manipulatives (games) will be used amongst kindergartners to promote the learning of math objectives.